Monday 10 August 2015

Harvest Monday - 10th August 2015

The salad crops are in full swing now. We had rain on a couple of days this week, and the lettuces in particular liked that. I cut another really nice dense, crisp "Webbs Wonderful" Iceberg lettuce, along with the first of the "Diva" cucumbers and a load of "Maskotka" tomatoes.


We are away for a few days, staying with the family in a self-catering property, so I took a huge batch of my home-grown potatoes. This is the output from four of my big pots. It came to very satisfying 4.3kgs.


These are "Nicola", a Second Early variety. I think they are perhaps even better than the ubiquitous "Charlotte".


They certainly scrub up nicely!


I also picked these beans, a total of 820g. There are some nice long straight ones amongst them.


Those are Runner Beans "Enorma" and "Jed's", along with some of the "Kew Blue" French Beans and just a few of the yellow ones that appear to be "Kentucky Wonder Wax". I'm hoping the rain will have given my beans a bit of a boost, and that they will now start producing pods in greater quantity.


Because we were going away, I also picked these Blueberries (about 150g). They were not fully ripe, but I judged that they would be past it before we got home, so we took them with us. I'm sure that when they ripen Holly and Lara will demolish them.


I am NOT linking to Daphne's Harvest Monday this week, because I am away... I hope to be participating again in 2 weeks' time.

12 comments:

  1. Outstanding potatoes, as always! And that sure is a lovely iceberg lettuce. I've never tried growing that variety before but that picture is making me think about adding it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been known to take our veg on holiday too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow look at all those potatoes. Beautiful. And I envy that lettuce. I hope mine grow so I can have some in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some great looking veg as usual! I'm impressed with your Webbs Wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your harvest is really lovely. I admire your beautiful potatoes! They do scrub up nicely. You have a nice batch of tomatoes coming in too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a very nice harvest. I especially love your potatoes and tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those potatoes are just lovely. I'm sure your family will enjoy devouring them on your holiday....and then be begging you to grow them a few pots too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mark, lovely potatoes! Do you put a single tuber in each of your 35 litre pots? At various RHS trials they have put about 4 tubers in 40 litre pots but it seems like your output for one tuber matches their output from four tubers. Do you find that potatoes just need a lot of space to be productive?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow look at all those potatoes! Your harvest is really lovely. Beautiful! And I envy that lettuce. They are really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you are having a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing time on holiday. I wish I had taken my homegrown veggies with me on my last trip away from home, but the complete absence of good veg while away made me appreciate my own more than ever. Those potatoes, as usual, are so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing potatoes mark, good idea to take them on your hols. The beans look great, most of mine end up bendy but they all taste the same in the end, eh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They all look great Mark ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.