Tuesday 8 May 2012

Pots in pots

Regular readers will know that I always grow my potatoes in containers rather than in open ground. This is chiefly because I don't have enough space in my raised beds for them, but it's also so that I can keep the moisture levels right more easily. Well, this year I have had to water the containers MUCH less frequently! Because of the long spell of very wet weather we have had, I have been worried that the potatoes would be too wet.

Some of the plants are protected by a plastic "Seedling Greenhouse" affair, with a zip-up lid:


This thing was intended primarily to protect plants from frost, which it has done well, but it has also served to protect then from the rain, which has been more of a threat this year than frost. The potato plants inside are a lot further advanced than the ones outside, although they were only planted a week earlier.

Next door to the Seedling Greenhouse are my second batch of potatoes, growing in containers that originally held pelleted chicken manure. Here you can see them (left) covered with a wire grille to prevent foxes furtling around in the compost.




They are looking fine. I have earthed them up once, so the pots are now about half full. I will need to do them again in a week or so. My aim is to eventually have the pots filled to about 2 inches below the rims.

The last batch of potatoes, round the side of my house, is the most under threat. They get all the rain, but because they get little direct light or breeze they don't dry out so well when the opportunity arises. I have been wondering if they would suffer because of this, but they seem to be doing OK. Their compost is completely sodden, despite the presence of many drainage holes in the pots:






In fact, they seem to be positively enjoying the wet weather! It will be interesting to see what sort of a crop they produce. I have heard that many farmers in the UK have lost their crops altogether, due to severe flooding. The price of veg in the shops will undoubtedly be high this Summer.

17 comments:

  1. Still waiting for our potatoes on the plot to push through. Just as well as other plotters who planted early got them well and truly frosted at the weekend. I don't think we've had as much rain as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all look like they are doing well. I'm not growing any this year, but I do have a volunteer from last year. I'll have to unearth it when I get some dry weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We only have a couple of bags in the greenhouse - the rest is in open ground. Have you raised the pots a little off the ground so the water can drain out easier?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My potatoes are at different stages, like your's, too. I'm hoping that I can stagger the harvest a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you can grow potatoes in such small pots. This year I have some in a raised bed but maybe next year I will have a few containers too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm curious...do home grown potatoes taste a lot better than store bought ones. I would guess yes. I'll be looking forward to seeing how these potatoes turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark, it's you I have to thank for attempting potatoes for the first time last year. When you showed how you did them up in pots, I was determined to try. Those were the best potatoes I've ever had. I've tripled my efforts from last year. I've been worried that our wet spring would ruin them but I saw green leaves upon inspection today. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HOORAY For the spuds. Those in the back with the freeze damage have shot past it. The front yard ones finally are coming up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's nothing better than growing you're own tatties as you well know Mark....and your's look like they're liking conditions.
    I'm all for containers especially with only having my current garden on loan whilst we're here.
    By the way...I got a shock with your new header this morning...so colourful.
    I feel healthier just by looking at it ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those potatoes look great. Could you send some rain over here - we have been quite dry the occasional bit of drizzle excepted and I'll starting to feel a bit neglected.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm very jealous of your potatoes. They are the one thing I have yet to grow, I've tasted them straight from the ground and they are amazing. I like your new picture - I grew those purple beans last year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking good! I hope to plant mine today after work. They are still scarring up after cutting apart yesterday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My container potatoes are at about the same stage as yours - far more advanced than the ones in the ground and they nice thing about them is that they come out cleanly. I may not even bother with planting them out next year - what is the average amount of potatoes you get from each pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine; I normally reckon to get somewhere between 7 and 10 spuds from each seed tuber - occasionally a few more.

      Delete
  14. Oh its all lookign blooming good. as you know the past two years I grew loads in pots, not so this much as trying to make use of my new garden. Still have loads of digging to do before I actually feel like a proper veg grower again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pot grown potatoes are such a great idea. Whether I grow in the ground or in pots I get about the same yield. And in pots the potatoes are so much easier to find / harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.