Wednesday 2 February 2011

Project Cucumber - Phase 2

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about my plans for growing cucumbers this year, which revolve around using a big container. I had been thinking about buying a domestic dustbin for this purpose, but this week I have managed to acquire an even more suitable container. Our long-time friend Rosemary has given me an old water-butt that has been rendered redundant by her acquisition of a newer, bigger one. Thanks, Rosemary!




I have now cut cut this container in two, because at over 90cm in height it was taller than necessary. I will use the top part (with no base) as my cucumber container. I will fill it with home-made compost, giving the cucumbers about 50cm or so of rich growing medium, whilst at the same time providing full drainage. I think this container will be big enough for two cucumber plants. The lower bit I think will probably become a container for growing bush tomatoes, but I haven't quite decided yet.




This is where the cucumber container will go. In due course I will sink it into the soil by about 10cm to provide stability, but I'm not ready to do this just yet.



Across the top I will build a wooden frame for the plants to climb up, supported by the Callicarpa (at right) and the heavily-pruned remains of a Philadelphus shrub (at left). Hopefully the ferns you see in the picture will grow tall and hide most of the container, which though practical, will never be exactly beautiful. At least it's green!

Incidentally, the pile of  unsightly "rubble" you see at the right of the photo above is my collection of stones and broken pieces of terracotta pot etc, which I use for creating a drainage layer when potting-up plants.

I need some ideas for what to do with the water-butt lid. It seems a shame to waste it...




17 comments:

  1. If you post a photo of this in high summer we'll be amazed at the growth from the pruned shrubs on either side of the cucumber tub.
    Not feeling in a very creative mood tonight - no suggestions for your lid, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the water-butt lid, no idea. Sorry.
    Maybe a plate for the fox. lol !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea of how to use the old water container for cucumbers and tomotoes. I might use that idea. Hmm, only use I can think of for the lid is to use as a weed suppressant around a shrub or tree? (lol, fox plate suggested by Ellada, good one)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great uses for the water container! That Callicarpa stem is really thick, must be old/mature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be great to see how many you get. We grew cucumbers the last two years just placing then straight into the ground and got a good yield. Best cucumbers we have ever tasted :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful that what you were looking for came and found you... I love the water butt, and I am in admiration of the clean cut you have achieved!

    As for the lid... ummm...

    A sled?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Droll comment, Mark, but no Barbour or Puffa jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is the water butt use an upcycle or a recycle...*smile* Great idea for reusing a gift.
    Agree with Ali...that's a nice cut you did around the water butt...if I'd done it, it would be all over the place and I'd be sticking it further in the ground not for support but to cover my mess! Looking forward to seeing your cucumbers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is neither upcycle or recycle...it is a repurpose. I was also stunned by the wonderful straight cut. As for the lid, I like the plate idea...what about a giant Frisbee?

    ReplyDelete
  10. A couple of you have commented on the straight cut: I was able to do this because I put a line of masking tape around the water-butt to guide me as I sawed, and of course I was able to measure the depth and adjust the tape to just where I wanted it to be before starting to saw.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely piece of re-use Mark! Could you use the lid part-buried as a bird bath? If it is deep enough you could even cover the base with some gravel to make it look nicer. Otherwise you'll just have to play Giant Frisbee with it and hope you don't concuss anyone ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A butterfly mud puddle! Yes, they need a wet muddy spot for minerals. The top might do the trick quite nicely. Please refer to this site: http://www.allfreecrafts.com/nature/butterfly-gardening.shtml Like your site, George

    ReplyDelete
  13. You could pop willow screening arounnd the water butt half which would camouflage it or even log roll if it was long enough.

    Would the lid make a bird bath with some pebbles to disguised it or even a fedding station for ground feeding birds - one type of food in each section

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cucumbers will be very happy growing in that container. There will be enough warmth for them. As for the lid, just hold on to it, you will find some use, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a great idea! I hope your cucumbers grow nice and healthy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooo! I love the idea of the butterfly thingy. You could plant butterfly food plants around it. Noice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks to you all for your ideas on uses for the water-butt cover; some really interesting ones. I like the idea of the butterfly-bath, but I need to work on getting some butterflies into the garden first. I'm planning to plant a Buddleia plant in the Spring, because I know they are good for attracting butterflies.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.