Wednesday 16 February 2011

Greek Oregano

Greek Oregano is a fabulous herb. In the summer-time it is wonderfully picturesque and aromatic.



However, it is a Mediterranean herb, and doesn't take too kindly to freezing Winter conditions, so in the Autumn I cut mine right back and brought it into the garage, where it has been for the last three months, biding its time. Just recently it has started to grow again, and some soft green shoots are now pushing up rapidly.





I took some close-up pictures of the new shoots, which reveal that the leaves and stems are thickly covered in downy hairs






I have two pots of Greek Oregano. Last year I grew the plants from seed, but this year I think I will probably divide the root mass of each one into two, and increase my stock that way. This is a favourite plant of the bees and butterflies, so I want more of it in my garden.

It's also a favourite culinary ingredient for me. I love it chopped finely and sprinkled generously over some tomatoes, warm from the sunshine and  freshly picked from the vine. Or in a "spag bol" type sauce...

14 comments:

  1. The oregano looks a lovely summer plant and your new growth looks really healthy. Another plant I may have to consider!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli, can you please email me (address is in my Blogger Profile).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, my oregano never flowers like that! It does look very pretty, and I can't wait to get started on a proper herb garden of my own.

    And nice close ups Mark! You know how I adore a good close up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have Greek Oregano. Is the flavor much different?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin, the Greek Oregano is just that bit more fragrant than the "ordinary" one. To me it is very evocative of the hot sunny conditions that I associate with the Greek islands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I muddle oregano with marjoram.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  7. I left my oregano to overwinter outdoors, in a herb bed. I hope it will not freeze to death...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely pink flowers, more like ornamental houseplant than a herb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooo, I think I might have to get hold of this (I have golden oregano) love the look of the flower, interested in how the taste compares. Another to add to my list of herbs to put in the ground

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew some Greek Oregano from seed last year and thought it was an annual and so left it to dry up and go to the big garden in the sky. I still have seed to sow again this year so I'll try to remember to save it this time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of interest in Greek Oregano, I see, which is great. You will find that the Oreganos and Marjorams are very hard to tell apart because they are all closely related and many hybrid varieties exist. In my experience, anything called Marjoram is likely to be fairly mildly-falvoured, whereas anything called Oregano is likely to be stronger. What's in a name though? The butterflies and bees love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm like Esther, I tend to mix up oregano with marjoram and use them interchangeably. I love them though, and my are putting on stupendous growth at the moment! I think I need to take a leaf out of your book and split them and replant to give them a little extra love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mark I live on Long Island east of New York City. We have fairly cold winters and snow and yet my greek oregano thrives without removing it from the garden. In fact it spreads rapidly and has to be kept under control.

    I do not even bother mulching it. So maybe you should try to let it stay in the garden

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mine too ! Left mine out in one of the worst Winters in years.. & it came back more abundantly than ever Magnificent Little Herb! !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.